==Preparing to add a tool==
* '''Gather information on the tool.''' Try to get as much of the following information as you can, but don't worry about missing information as long as its absence won't keep anyone from figuring out which physical tool at Protospace corresponds to which gallery entry or page on the wiki. You '''must''' provide enough information for that purpose, whether it's in the form of a photo showing distinctive markings, a serial number, or (reverse approach) a label on the tool linking to the wiki page. If you do not, your addition will be meaningless and will probably have to be deleted and recreated from scratch.
* '''Decide what kind of entry you want to add:''' 1) just an entry in the [[tools we have|tools gallery]] or 2) a full page about the tool. The latter is generally preferable because it's more useful to people looking for info on the tool in the future, and because it allows the assignment of a
Wiki ID number for the tool. Even if you feel like you only have enough information for a gallery entry, you may still (and are encouraged to) make a full page, because this makes it easier for others to fill in that info later.
* '''Take a photo of the tool.'''
** Try to take it in good lighting.
* Advantages: quick and easy
* Disadvantages: not as informative; the tool may not be assigned a
Wiki ID; info about the tool cannot be easily linked to from elsewhere on the wiki/forum or from a label on the tool
# Upload the photo of the tool. '''DO NOT use a number as the filename.''' (It can be moved to a number later if a
Wiki ID is assigned to the tool.) Try to use a short and descriptive name of the tool, such as its make and model, its color, etc., but the exact name is unimportant for now, as long as you can copy and paste it. Once the upload is done, either copy the filename from the top of the page, or leave the tab open so you can do that when you reach step 3.
# Decide on a name for the wiki to refer to the tool by. At this point (before the page is created) it doesn't matter as much, but try to follow the format: <code>[tool type], [distinguishing characteristics separated by commas] ([make/model])</code> (with each part but the first being included only if it makes sense). If the tool was made by a member and therefore has no make/model, use the member's name in possessive form.
This option will result in a page about the tool, linked from the tools gallery. Clicking on the picture in the tools gallery will open the tool's page instead of enlarging the picture (though you can still enlarge the picture by clicking on it where it appears in the tool's own page).
* Advantages: more informative; the tool may be assigned a
Wiki ID; info about the tool can be easily linked to from elsewhere on the wiki/forum and from a label on the tool<br/>
* Disadvantages: more work on your part
#*# The editor itself serves as the preview. Look at what appears after closing any popup windows. You should see an infobox on the right side of the preview, with the info you entered. If not, try to fix it so you do. If you don't, proceed anyway, and somebody else will probably fix it soon.
#*# Click the blue "Save page" button at the top-right of the editor to publish your addition.
# (optional) If you want to assign a
Wiki ID number today, do that now according to [[0#I want to assign a Wiki ID number to a tool or other item|the instructions for that]].# Upload a photo. If you've assigned a Wiki ID number, upload it with that number as the filename, such as <code>512.jpg</code>. If you haven't, try to use a short and descriptive name of the tool, such as its make and model, its color, etc., but the exact name is unimportant for now, as long as you can copy and paste it. Once the upload is done, either copy/remember the filename from the top of the page, or leave the tab open so you can do that in the upcoming steps.
# Edit the tool page you created to add the photo. First, copy and paste the following code into the <code>photo</code> field of the equipment page template: <code><nowiki>[[File:FILENAME|350px|thumb|right|]]</nowiki></code>. Then replace FILENAME with the filename, such as <code><nowiki>[[File:512.jpg|350px|thumb|right|]]</nowiki></code> or <code><nowiki>[[File:Red hacksaw.jpg|350px|thumb|right|]]</nowiki></code>.
# Preview and save the page again, preferably with an edit summary saying you added a photo.
''[not written yet; you can probably figure it out if you need to]''
Wiki ID to a tool that doesn't have one==:''Main article: [[ Protospace Wiki IDs#I want to assign a Wiki ID number to a tool or other item]]
:''Prerequisite: an equipment page, created as described under 'Option 2' or 'Upgrading a tool from just a gallery entry (option 1) to a page (option 2)' (above)'''