These are makerspace and Protospace specific terms that you should know.
- The bay containing the metal shop.
- The bay containing the wood shop.
- Pre-pandemic social gathering after Meet & Geek.
- Futile investment of time and energy in discussion of marginal technical issues.
- The area between the mitre saw and garage door in the woodshop (bay 110).
- (also called the no-fly zone)
- The practice of using one's own products or services to help find bugs.
- An organizational structure in which people are encouraged to set goals and accomplish tasks on their own, rather than leaders assigning tasks or roles to a particular person or group. Individuals are “free” to do tasks that they feel they should be done and minimal supervision or permission is required. The success or failure of a particular project is linked directly to the efforts of the people who do the things.
- To understand something intuitively or by empathy.
meet & geek
- Weekly event, traditionally held on Tuesday evenings between 1900 and 2100, where Protospace welcomes visitors for tours, and when many Protospace members (a.k.a. Protospacers) gather to socialize and bikeshed.
- The time it takes for someone to complete a project you can do in about an hour with a salvaged microwave oven transformer. We have never completed a Microwave hour.
- New member orientation.
- Derived from the problem solving process of explaining your problem out-loud to an inanimate object, evolved to include arriving at a solution while articulating your problem in email/discussion post before hitting send.
- A unit of volume, weight, distance, equal to a single slice of standard toast.
- Any apparently useless activity which, by allowing you to overcome intermediate difficulties, allows you to solve a larger problem.
- A less useful activity done consciously or subconsciously to procrastinate about a larger but more useful task.
- Asking about your attempted solution rather than your actual problem.
- The person asking for help obscures the real issue, X, because instead of asking directly about issue X, they ask how to solve a secondary issue, Y, which they believe will allow them to resolve issue X on their own.
- "Reasonably Professional, no longer an embarrassment" ™. is to be spoken whenever a doocratic action improves the space.