Lathe, metal (Challenger 1660G) ID:46
- Name: Metal lathe
- Make/Model: Challenger 1660G (a.k.a. Birmingham LUX 1660G and YCL-1660)
- Serial Number: ??
- Original Owner: Protospace
- Loan Status: Owned by Protospace
- Arrival Date: 2015-12-22
- Location: Metal shop
- Functional Status: Needs Work: needs to be cleaned and set up
- Usage Permissions: Open to full members
- Certification: Certification Required: lathe training or (upcoming as of 2015-12) lathe/mill training
- Wiki ID: 46
All from the 1640T/1660T page listed in the Documents section unless noted.
- Dimensions: 29" deep × 72" long × ?? tall (according to John W)
- Mass: ~4000–5000 lbs
- Motor: 7.5 hp, 3-phase, 220 V
- 36–1800 RPM spindle speed in 12 steps
- Swing over bed: 16"
- Swing over cross slide: 10"
- Distance between centers: 60"
- Swing in gap: 60"
- Width of bed: 24"
- Spindle nose: ASA D1-6
- Spindle bore: 2 1/16" or 2 1/8"
- Spindle taper: MT 6
- Spindle speeds: 36, 60, 82, 93, 158, 215, 302, 510, 695, 786, 1328, 1800 rpm
- Threads & feeds
- Imperial threading: 2–72 TPI (45 kinds)
- Metric threading: 0.2–14mm (40 kinds)
- Module pitch threading: 0.3–3.5 M.P. (18 kinds) (for making shafts for worm gears)
- DP threading: 8–44 DP (21 kinds)
- Longitudinal feed range: 0.002"–0.04" ipr
- Cross feed range: 0.001"–0.02" ipr
- Cross slide travel: 8 1/4"
- Compound slide travel: 5 1/4"
- Center taper: MT 4
- Quill travel: 6 1/4"
- Quill diameter: 2 1/16"
- Coolant pump
- Safety foot brake
- Sales page for 1640T and 1660T models
- John W has manuals for this machine and a similar one, which will be uploaded soon.
This lathe was bought by Protospace using funding approved for the purchase of new machine tools at the December 2015 members' meeting. It was picked up and brought to Protospace on 2015-12-22 along with the ACRA mill and the new 80-gallon air compressor. It replaces Kyle Paavola's lathe; it has equivalent capability. It came with the following accessories:
- 3-jaw chuck
- 4-jaw chuck
- Big steady rest
- Taper attachment
- 40-position tool post and one tool holder with a carbide tool holder in it
- Live center
- A carriage stop with a micrometer
- Coolant pump